Let’s get you lunging. Strong legs send balls flying and keep you light on your toes from hole 1 to 18.
More Pars Fitness Coach Gregg D’Andrea shows us the essential principles of set up and execution with this Staple Fitness move. The lunge gets the heart going and the legs firing. This is critical for us golfers who need that explosive power for long shots off the tee and fairway.
The Set Up & Execution
• Begin with your feet together.
• Engage your core with shoulders back and down.
• Torso is upright with your head and chin level.
• Begin the step forward initiated by just below the belly button region.
• Heel leads the way: A heel to toe-box down move.
• Bend back your knee immediately to allow for a straight drop down.
• Keep your head level and torso upright and quiet through the move.
• If you fall off balance, don’t worry. Just start over, and slow the pace until you can perform in perfect balance.
The key is to allow the back leg to release immediately to the ground. This is so you can drop down in a line, staying upright with your torso and centered over your body.
Your front lunge knee never moves outside of your toe line.
So let’s make sure you get green checks on these key points:
• Maintain an engaged core and a quiet torso.
• Pinch your shoulder blades together.
• Release your knee as you step forward.
• Hands on hip, ribcage up, and elevated.
• Head and chin level is important.
• Knees stay within the toe line at all times.
• Don’t rush the move.
• Have a stable upper body to allow your lower half to execute the move.