More Pars Fitness Coach Karen Palacios-Jansen shows you an exercise to increase mobility in the spine as well as strengthen core muscles.
Fault » Lack of Spinal Mobility
Fix » Plank with Rotation
Fault: It becomes important for keeping the spine mobile and reduce stiffness in the lower and middle back. This mobility is crucial to golfers, not only to maintain proper posture throughout their swing but to allow the body to move smoothly through all rotational ranges of motion.
Fix: This exercise will not only help you develop mobility in your spine, but in the torso, shoulder, hips, and neck.
Perform 8 to 10 repetitions on each side
• Start in a plank position
• Bend one knee, lifting your foot off the ground
• Rotate your body and place the lifted foot on the ground behind you
• Lift your arm from the same side the foot was lifted; and stretch it over your head so that it is fully extended
• Hold position for a moment and return to the start position
• Repeat motion for 8 to 10 repetitions on both sides Work on this exercise in parts. Start by just lifting your foot, then work up to rotating your body and lifting your arm.
Never attempt to press up beyond your ability or to the point of pain.