Once you’ve mastered the basic lunge and squat move, you can add a lateral movement to the mix!
Strengthens your entire hip area, adding killer burn for legs.
Improves hip flexor mobility.
Prevents swaying off the ball or struggling with staying in posture, back, and through.
The Set Up & Execution
• Stand at hip-width with hands in fist.
• Take a big lateral step left and plant your heel firmly dropping down into a lunge squat position.
• Your other leg is straight and foot is planted.
• Keep your chest and eyes up.
• Drive through your lunged heel to stand back up.
• Repeat on the other side.
When you master this move, skate across the gym or kitchen floor ensuring that you are staying low and driving through your heel. As you move across the floor, you’ll cross your opposite leg over the other and plant your foot on the other side. You’ll feel an awesome stretch in your hip flexors as you move across the floor.
The key is driving through your heel to drive up to the start position. You’ll feel like a speed skater with this move. It’s fun! Increase the speed as you improve the execution of the move.
So let’s make sure you get green checks on these key points:
• Stay low as you plant and drive through the heel.
• Legs parallel at the bottom of the squat.
• As you cross over, maintain a quiet upper torso with the head neutral.
• Continue to drive through your heels.
• Add speed as you groove the move.