Push Ups make you strong.
More Pars Fitness Coaches Danny V and Christina Ricci show you the key set-up and execution for push ups, an all-over body toner and strengthener.
Builds core endurance and stability
Improves postural integrity
The Set Up & Execution
• Get on your mat on your knees or toes in a plank position.
• Hands just outside of shoulder-width or just under the shoulders.
• Hands slightly flaired or straight with weight favoring the heel of the hands.
• Head is in line with your spine.
• Glutes are tight – squeezed together with core engaged the entire time.
• Release your arms and lower chest to the mat.
• Keep your elbows tight into your body.
• Lower body down as one unit.
• Push through the floor to come up, maintaining that line from shoulders to heels – no midline sagging!
• Your back is in line with your body, flat back.
We are looking for a straight line from your shoulders to your heels!
Do not allow elbows to flair. Do not lead with your chin to the mat! Do not allow your mid-line to sink at any point.
So let’s make sure you get green checks on these key points:
• On your knees or more advanced, on toes.
• Shoulders and arms are in line, core is engaged.
• Range of motion is chest to the floor – lightly touch, don’t plant the chest onto the mat.
• Full extension with the arms at the top.
• Keep body as in line as possible as you lower down to the mat.
• Push back up by straightening your elbows.
• Your whole body goes down and up as one unit.
Perform 5 a day! Work up to 10. BONUS: This move tones your triceps!