Welcome to Short Game Training
This More Pars Training is a focus on chipping with a splash of wedges. These are the 10-50 yard chips & pitches just around the green. The short game is where we truly score, so it is essential to master the set-ups and understand the whys. We’ll focus on three areas:
1. CRAFTING A SMART PLAN
2. CHIPPING TECHNIQUE
3. TRAJECTORY AND LAND SPOT
Plus, I love the short game! It’s creative. There are infinite possibilities to get the ball in the hole. I see too many players using one club for all their shots around the green. Instead, let’s open up the possibilities. But first you’ll master the set-ups and in-motion keys for the basic chips and pitches.
Are you ready for more up & downs? Let’s get to it!
On completion of your Training, you’ll receive a virtual achievement certificate that you can print and share on social touting your awesomeness!
What’s Your Plan?
Assessing the lay of the land and your lie are a good start. This will determine everything else, including crafting a smart game plan.
Set-up & Such
With a plan, let’s select the best club and establish the proper set-up to get the job done.
Land Spot and Trajectory?
– Do you envision a high or low trajectory?
– Where is your land spot?
– On or off the green?
Loft and Roll Out
Know what shots do and how much the ball rolls out, so you can select the best land spot.
Plays a key role.
What to expect based on the lie, thickness and direction the grass is growing.
Trust the Process
If you have any doubt, your shot is in trouble.
I need to help the ball up
Allow the loft (or bounce) of the club to do the work.
Understanding what open is and when to use it.
Understanding what they do and how much they affect your shot.
Up & Downs
What that means and how to get it.
Looking for a tight dispersion from tap-in to 10ft out depending on level of player.
Understanding what to expect based on skill level.
ASSESSMENT 1: IMPACT POINT
Where are you consistently making contact?
ASSESSMENT 2: STYLE OF CHIPPER
– Sweeper & Slider
– Steep & Digger
ASSESSMENT 3: YOUR NUMBERS
What are your stats?
– How far from the hole on your first chip?
– Up & Downs per round
– Tempo Ratio
– Dial in your distance with wedges
ASSESSMENT 4: DISPERSION
Let’s find out your dispersion pattern.
– Is it tight around the hole or all over the map?
– Does it favor one side of the cup?
– Does distance or lie affect results?
STEP 1- EQUIPMENT
– Wedge 101: Understanding wedge anatomy and the affects of bounce will be a game-changer.
– How long do wedges last?
STEP 2 – ASSESS THE SITUATION
– What’s your lie and lay of the land?
– How much green have you got?
– Are they fast or slow or undulating?
– Wind in play?
– How much carry?
– Based on that you going high or low?
STEP 3: SET-UP
– Based on club and shot choice, let’s get proper ball, shaft and weight positions.
– Alignment process is paramount.
STEP 4: TIMING & ENERGY
– Patience is required with shots around the green.
– Get soft and stable.
– Unlike the long game allow club to go first with chipping.
Drills for Tempo and Feel
– Gravity does all the work
– Get Finnessy
– Understand the Chipping Sequence
Drills to Get Solid
– Let’s do the Flamingo
– Doorstop for crisp contact
– Bands for connection, if needed
– Don’t horse around with weight shift
Drills for Direction
– Steep or too shallow?
– Chunks & Skulls?
– Land spot targets
– Up & Down Practice
– Target Line Practice
Get confident from the bunker with a solid technique and a consistent splash.
Creative Around the Green
Learn all types of shots around the green from the low runner to the high & softs.
On the Green Training
Learn how to get really good on the green. Read it. Roll it. Hole it in less strokes.